History of the Anchor Inn
The Anchor Inn is a well-known landmark in the area, and in the old days gave its name locally to the crossroads where the B6049 road from Great Hucklow to Tideswell met the busy A623 Chesterfield to Manchester road. As might be imagined however, this was a notorious accident ‘black spot’, and so as a consequence the junction has been rebuilt and the crossing point for the minor road is now staggered.
The Anchor was from early days a working farmstead, but because of its strategic position it developed into an Alehouse, becoming licensed in 1699. We might imagine it would have been a favourite stopping place for carriers, in packhorse days, but it became even more popular during the Turnpike Era. The road from Chapel en le Frith was turnpiked in 1749 as far as Peak Forest. This was extended in 1758 towards Chesterfield, and the Anchor stood at its crossing point with the turnpike from Sheffield to Buxton, leading to it becoming popular as a Coaching Inn. In 1788 the Sheffield Coach called here 3 times a week, and in 1800 the Buxton & Sheffield “Telegraph” likewise. Then in the early 19th century, for instance in 1835, Pigot's Directory records the Champion (from Nottingham to Manchester) calling at the Anchor every day at 12:30, whilst its “sister” coach, the Champion from Manchester to Nottingham, passed through in the opposite direction at the same time.
Past Licensees include BRAMWELLs - William 1699-1723, John (1724-1744), and William Bramwell Jnr. (1745-1767); Samuel LEECH (1771-1774), followed by Ruth LEECH, possibly his widow (1775-1784); and William HILL, his descendants and their various relatives from 1793 to 1939. A full list of Innkeepers, compiled by Peakdale Research, is available on a board inside the Inn, together with a more comprehensive account of the Inn's History.
(Information provided by Rosemary Lockie)